Whenever we have heavy rain, we lose our phone service. It’s been happening for quite a while now, and is very frustrating, especially since by the time the phone company is able to send out a repair technician, everything has dried out enough that our phone service is back to normal.
Yesterday we got torrential rain, and then cold weather moved in overnight. When we tried to make some calls this morning, the line was dead. The usual online troubleshooting with the phone company produced the usual completely inconclusive results. So M helped me haul a ladder over to the end of the house, so I could climb up and try their suggestion of troubleshooting the problem at the NID (network interface device), which is conveniently located 11 feet off the ground.
M passed a screwdriver up to me, so I could open up the box. Then he passed me a phone, so I could plug it directly into the test jack. Except that I couldn’t — because the test jacks were frozen full of ice.
Well, a NID that fills up with rainwater certainly would short out the phone service! The phone company is scheduled to come out tomorrow for repair. And even though the NID has now thawed out and dried out enough that we got our phone service back this afternoon, I’m going to show the technician the photographic proof that a non-waterproof NID is causing us problems. It’s a fairly new box that they installed just a couple years ago, but hopefully they’ve got an alternative waterproof version they can put up there instead. Either that, or I’m getting a heavy-duty shower cap to tuck around it.