After we finished painting and re-flooring the bedroom, it was even more obvious just how disgusting the metal heating vents in the floor were. I think the previous owners of the house believed in using a lot of floor wax, which may be a good thing for linoleum, but is not good in terms of permanently adhering dust and crud on heating vents. Once I figured out that the technical name for these things is “floor registers,” I realized that the hardware store sells them for a very reasonable price. So E bought enough metal ones to replace almost every vent in the house, and then splurged and ordered a fancier wood one online for the vent in our room that is visible.
A couple of the vents had so much accumulated floor wax around them that they couldn’t even lift out any more (which had made it even harder to keep them clean — it’s a vicious cycle.) Yesterday I handed M a crowbar and told him that his mission was to get the vent out. Because really, what’s better than asking the resident teenager to tackle unskilled revolting tasks? M pried the vent out and even cleaned the area around it quite nicely.
I also discovered at the hardware store that it sells vinyl-covered U-hooks very cheaply. These are the things that you can screw into a stud in your garage wall and hang a rake from, rather than leave the rake in a tangled pile of tools leaning against the wall, ready to fall over onto your car when you try to fish something out.
E had ended up with most of the tools from her parents’ house, and we’d had a pretty good supply of tools to start with. This explains why our garage walls are now neatly adorned with 2 garden shovels, 2 bow rakes, 5 snow shovels, 5 rakes, 2 brooms, and a pitchfork who can pair up with the bulb planter if it gets really lonely.